In an effort to support our members, when so many have lost their primary source of income due to necessary COVID-19 cancellations, ISJAC is pleased to fund 10 commissions of $500 each to our members. ISJAC will fund the first ten commissions, but additional donated funds may be added allowing for more awards.
An integral part of ISJAC’s mission is to “stimulate the creation, performance, and dissemination of new works”, those selected will be commissioned to deliver an original composition to ISJAC prior to Dec. 31, 2020. Recipients will have total artistic freedom to compose anything they want with no specific instrumentation, length, or features designated (it may be as simple as a head chart if desired). ISJAC will publicize the names of those selected as well as posting representations of the winning works upon their completion on its website.
To qualify to receive an ISJAC COVID-19 Relief Commission, individuals must be:
- A member of ISJAC
- A professional composer/arranger, dependent on freelance music composition/performance as their primary source of annual income. Full-time students are not eligible at this time.
- Able to provide acknowledgement of cancelled commissions, performances, or appearances during the period of March 1 – June 1, 2020.
As ISJAC desires to get this funding in the hands of composers/arrangers as soon as possible, the application process has been kept as simple as possible. Those desirous of consideration for this funding need only to submit the following through the dedicated portal on ISJAC’s website.
- 1-page CV or brief bio with indication of primary employment for last 5 years
- 1 short paragraph (or bulleted list) detailing any gigs/commissions lost due to COVID-19 during the March 1 – June 1, 2020 time period.
- 1 score & recording of applicant’s best recent jazz composition/arrangement
Applications may be submitted beginning Monday, March 30, 2020 with evaluations beginning almost immediately. ISJAC expects to announce the first recipients later that week. While there is no deadline, the project will close upon the exhaustion of funding.
For full guidelines and the application portal, please click here.
To make a tax-exempt donation in support of the program, please click here.