In an effort to support our members, when so many have lost their primary source of income due to necessary COVID-19 cancellations, ISJAC is pleased to fund 10 commissions of $500 each to our members. Our submission process is detailed below; ISJAC will fund the first ten commissions, but additional funds may be added.
An integral part of ISJAC’s mission is to “stimulate the creation, performance, and dissemination of new works”, those selected will be commissioned to deliver an original composition to ISJAC prior to Dec. 31, 2020. Recipients will have total artistic freedom to compose anything they want with no specific instrumentation, length, or features designated (it may be as simple as a head chart if desired). ISJAC will publicize the names of those selected as well as posting representations of the winning works upon their completion on its website.
To qualify to receive an ISJAC COVID-19 Relief Commission, individuals must be:
- A member of ISJAC (free to join)
- A professional composer/arranger, dependent on freelance music composition/performance as their primary source of annual income. Full-time students are not eligible at this time.
- Able to provide acknowledgement of cancelled commissions, performances, or appearances during the period of March 1 – June 1, 2020.
As ISJAC desires to get this funding in the hands of composers/arrangers as soon as possible, the application process has been kept as simple as possible. Those desirous of consideration for this funding need only to submit the following through the dedicated portal on the bottom of this page.
- 1-page CV or brief bio with indication of primary employment for last 5 years
- 1 short paragraph (or bulleted list) detailing any gigs/commissions lost due to COVID-19 during the March 1 – June 1, 2020 time period.
- 1 score & recording of applicant’s best recent jazz composition/arrangement
Applications may be submitted beginning Monday, March 30, 2020 with evaluations beginning almost immediately. ISJAC expects to announce the first recipients later that week. The project will close upon the exhaustion of funding.
Those selected as recipients:
- Agree to newly compose and submit to ISJAC a work prior to December 31, 2020. Submission should include a PDF score and audio.
- Will retain all copyright and performance rights to their submitted work.
- Grant ISJAC permission to freely publish some form of the commissioned work or discussion of its creation on the ISJAC website as well as in other ISJAC publications. This could include any or all of the below:
- audio/video recording of a performance of the work
- composer led discussion of his/her creative process in composing the work
- Will give attribution to ISJAC on printed editions for commissioning the work.
- Are responsible for any and all taxes that might be owed.
- Applicants will be screened for eligibility per the stated guidelines. Those who do not qualify will be immediately eliminated.
- Qualified applicants’ work will be adjudicated by a small committee of accomplished composers designated by ISJAC. Their decisions will be final.
Questions may be directed to ISJAC staff by emailing email@example.com and referencing the COVID-19 Relief Commission Grant.
The application portal is now closed.