March 18-20, 2021
ISJAC is pleased to present Un[chart]ed Territory in March 2021. While not a replacement for the immensely successful Jazz Composers’ Symposium (postponed to 2022), Un[chart]ed Territory seeks to inspire, motivate, offer our members a chance to showcase their own work, facilitate conversation, and serve as a conduit for creativity and collaboration – much like our flagship in-person conference. Un[chart]ed Territory will run three consecutive evenings (plus a Saturday afternoon) in March 2021 with both synchronous and asynchronous sessions that include the celebration of our recent Owen Prize for Jazz Composition and Prize for Emerging Black Composers winners, the induction of the 2021 ISJAC Hall of Fame class, all-star panel discussions, networking opportunities, chats with elite guest composer artists, a very special pre-recorded capstone performance, and a creative opportunity for you to have conversations about your recent project or check out the new work/research of other composers and arrangers that you admire. Please apply below (by January 29th) if you’d like to share your work at ISJAC’s Un[chart]ed Territory!
Schedule of Events
Schedule will be released in February 2021. Event registration will open on March 1st. Un[chart]ed Territory will be offered for FREE to ISJAC members. Donations will be greatly appreciated.
The event will be hosted by a new service called Hopin. More details available soon!
Darcy James Argue, Cécile McLorin Salvant, Bob Mintzer, John Beasley, Maria Mendes, John Hollenbeck, and the WDR Big Band! More artists announced soon!
Would you like to share and discuss what you’ve been working on with the ISJAC community? During the “year of the pandemic,” perhaps you wrote a new chart, compiled a comprehensive list of obscure compositions or drafted a research paper by your favorite composer, analyzed a few scores, or simply found a method for mental clarity and rejuvenation that you’d like to casually converse with your composer/arranger peers about. Well – you are in luck – we are thrilled to extend this opportunity to our membership! Think of it as a virtual twist on our Symposium’s popular poster session! We are calling this Saturday afternoon session, Uncharted: Conversations.
Here’s what you’ll be able to do as a presenter:
- Talk or chat with registered attendees live at your “booth.”
- Exchange e-business cards during your session.
- Ask for specific feedback by issuing a digital poll from directly in your “booth.”
- Present a YouTube video or Google slideshow from within your “booth.” Perfect for asynchronous exploration by registered attendees on the first two days of the event.
- Archive your scores, links to recordings, and papers or other text-based documents on the ISJAC Un[chart]ed Territory webpage giving ISJAC members the chance to peruse your materials before they have the opportunity to discuss with you at the event.
There is a $45 administrative fee to present your work.