March 18-20, 2021
ISJAC is pleased to present Un[chart]ed Territory in March 2021. While not a replacement for the immensely successful Jazz Composers’ Symposium (postponed to 2022), Un[chart]ed Territory seeks to inspire, motivate, offer our members a chance to showcase their own work, facilitate conversation, and serve as a conduit for creativity and collaboration – much like our flagship in-person conference. Un[chart]ed Territory will run three consecutive evenings (plus a Saturday afternoon) in March 2021 with both synchronous and asynchronous sessions that include the celebration of our recent Owen Prize for Jazz Composition and Prize for Emerging Black Composers winners, the induction of the 2021 ISJAC Hall of Fame class, all-star panel discussions, networking opportunities, chats with elite guest composer artists, a very special pre-recorded capstone performance, and a creative opportunity for you to have conversations about your recent project or check out the new work/research of other composers and arrangers that you admire.
The event will be hosted by a new service called Hopin. Un[chart]ed Territory will be offered for FREE to ISJAC members. Donations will be greatly appreciated. Register here: https://hopin.com/events/un-chart-ed-territory
Darcy James Argue, Cécile McLorin Salvant, Bob Mintzer, John Beasley, Maria Mendes, John Hollenbeck, Kat McGarry, Theo Bleckmann, Ellen Rowe, Christine Jensen, Miho Hazama, Ayn Inserto, John La Barbera, Kim Richmond, and the WDR Big Band!
All Times EST
Thursday Evening, March 18
- 8:00-8:05pm (EST): Welcome – Chuck Owen, ISJAC President
- 8:05-8:10pm (EST): Hall of Fame Induction – Cassio Vianna, ISJAC Hall of Fame Curator
- 8:10-8:45pm (EST): Hall of Fame Induction Video: Gil Evans, Herbie Hancock, Bill Holman, Charles Mingus, and Billy Strayhorn
- 8:50-10:00pm (EST): Women Jazz Composers: Empowering Equal Voices in the Large Ensemble Landscape
Friday Evening, March 19
- Uncharted:Collaborations – panels and Q&A
Saturday Afternoon, March 20
- 12:00-1:00pm (EST) Introducing Online Music Performance Tools for the (Post-) Pandemic
- Panelists: Jason Camelio and Ray Seol
- 1:30-3:30pm (EST) Uncharted:Conversations – virtual poster sessions
- 50+ booths
- 4:00-5:00pm (EST): Celebrating Bill Holman – sponsored in part by The ASCAP Foundation (4-5pm)
- 5:30-6:30pm (EST) Grantee and Awards Showcase
- 8 booths
Saturday Evening, March 20, 8:00-10:30pm
- 8:00-8:10pm (EST): ISJAC Awards Recognition for 2020/2021 Owen Prizes in Jazz Composition and 2021 Prizes for Emerging Black Composers – Eri Chichibu, Robert Buonaspina, Courtney Wright, and Joseph Borsellino, awardees. Chuck Owen, presenter.
- 8:10-8:40pm (EST) WDR Big Band performs the 2020/2021 Owen Prize for Jazz Composition and 2021 Prize for Emerging Black Composers works
- 8:45-9:20pm (EST) Bob Mintzer performance with WDR Big Band
- 9:25-10:30pm (EST) Bob Mintzer Artist Talk and Q&A.
- Moderator: Rufus Reid
- Sponsor/Advertiser Booths
- Poster Session Booths